“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning…They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.” ~ Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood)


Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies

My kids love to help me in the kitchen, especially Aiden.  Every time he hears the mixer or blender turn on he runs into the kitchen and hops on the stool.  At first I have to admit I found it a little bothersome to have them help me (sad I know).  Let's be honest...Kids+cooking=huge messes!  But then I stopped and realized how much he actually enjoyed it and how much he can learn by helping me.  First of all, if they really like it then I should foster that love and encourage them to help me~They are wanting to help me so for that I should be grateful.

There is so much that you can learn when cooking and baking~numbers, vocabulary, measurements and science (talking about how heat changes the food and cooks it so that we can eat it).

I use to have them stand on a stool so they could reach the counter but it was hard for them to mix and actually reach in the bowl so I decided to do it on the floor.  This way there is less spilling and they can actually get in there and help.

I try to plan at least two things a week for them to help me with...more kid friendly recipes but they are still in there at least once a day helping.

First we always wash our hands and then I go over the recipe with them.  I talk about what ingredients it needs and we get out the measuring cups and spoons.

This week we made Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips.  They were a big hit!  I finally had to put them in the freezer so that we (I) would stop eating them :)











Here's the recipe:

1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3 cups rolled oats
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup peanut butter*

*I would suggest using a brand that you dont have to stir~I used trader joes creamy peanut butter (you have to stir the oil that separates)  they tend to come up flatter.






1 comment:

  1. am i missing the instructions and how long to bake at what temp somewhere?

    ReplyDelete