“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning…They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.” ~ Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood)


Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Candyland-A New Twist on a Classic

When I was little I loved playing Candyland! I really loved picking the Frosty Princess card! Now Samantha loves playing candyland~this makes me happy to be able to play it again! At first it was great because it helped her learn her colors but now she knows her colors so I wanted to make it more challenging. I wrote letters and sight words on the cards. I left some cards blank because my younger two are still learning their colors.
I had seen this on online awhile ago and I finally got around to doing it. When she draws a card that has a letter on it. She says the letter, letter sound and a word that starts with the letter. When she draws a sight word we tell her word and she repeats it. She keeps asking to play so she must like it! Aiden can still play with us. He knows his colors and letters so he is working on the letter sounds. Who knew Candyland could be such a great learning tool 😊





No comments:

Post a Comment