“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning…They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.” ~ Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood)


Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Celery



Samantha has been asking for celery and peanut butter as a snack lately.  I finally remembered to buy some celery at Trader Joes.  She was very happy but I realized that she just likes to eat the peanut butter off of it.  I must teach her that a spoonful of peanut butter is just as delicious and less wasteful.
I got the Trader Joes brand of celery hearts~some of the celery had leaves on it still so I decided to stick them in water and food coloring to show them how to change the color of the leaves.

I let them pick the colors...Aiden picked orange and Samantha picked red.  The leaves changed colors within a few hours.  That instant gratification was nice :)

The veins of the celery also changed colors so I was able to show her how the celery gets its water and nutrients.  

It's a quick and fun little science activity. 







No comments:

Post a Comment